OPEN LETTER TO PARENTS OF ORHL PLAYERS AND THOSE INTERESTED IN OUR LEAGUE:
Firstly, we would like to thank the parents of our players currently playing in the ORHL we would like to thank you for your continued support for giving your children the opportunity to play hockey where you choose and for the coach you choose. For parents thinking of joining a team for this or next season we welcome you and thank you for considering our hockey programming for your child.
Recently there has been a number of negative letters written to local Hockey Canada associations by Hockey Canada about independent hockey leagues like the ORHL. At the ORHL we do not believe in commenting negatively about people who choose to see Hockey in a different way. We will not engage in a propaganda campaign with Hockey Canada. Many of you have received inaccurate and almost slanderous information about the rules regarding your children playing in our league or one like the ORHL, either from coaches or even associations.
However, we do want to direct you to the Hockey Canada Rule; “Any individual who participates in a Non-Sanctioned League after the Cut-Off Date of September 30th will lose all privileges with Hockey Canada only for the remainder of that season, and, may only apply for the reinstatement of those privileges after the end of that season.” Please understand that this rule is a Hockey Canada rule and not an ORHL rule. In addition, since Hockey Canada introduced this rule in May 2009 the ORHL is not aware of any suspensions of players breaking this rule.
Our league is a “right to choose” program and we do not place any restrictions on player movement whatsoever at any time during the season. In fact, we allow our players to play in both ORHL and Hockey Canada if you so desire. Hockey Canada has identified September 30th of each season as the date by which you must decide if you wish to participate in their programming. Up until September 30th we encourage you to give our league a try and we are sure you won’t be disappointed.
Here is what you can expect from the ORHL:
- We have over 50 teams in Ontario and when combined with our partners in Greater Niagara we can play over 130 teams. We have been in business for 5 years…expanding every season,
- No address boundaries – you can play for the team and coach you want no restrictions
- No releases needed – You do not need a release from Hockey Canada to join the ORHL. You also do not need any release to play in another city of your choice if you are not happy with the team in your area.
- All our teams are required to provide “professionally instructed developments sessions”. We don’t just train volunteer coaches we bring you professionals to develop your children.
- All our away games are played on weekends as we believe in the importance of your child’s education and we want to provide time during the week without hockey to allow the time required to be successful in school.
- All our participants are fully insured through the AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) the worlds largest youth sports organization with over 100 years in operation. http://aauice.rsportz.com/
- Coaches receive AAU coach training from “Positive Coaching Alliance” and “Heads up Concussions in Youth Sports”.
- We also offer game variety for your teams with an alternative game program that includes games vs USA teams as part of your regular season.
- Tournament based regular season games which being a whole new excitement to the regular season
- A grand championship tournament second to none in crowning our champions.
We encourage you to check out one of the teams in our league, check www.orhl.net and click on the teams tab.
Commissioner – Mark Hetherman – email@example.com – 289-259-5721
ORHL (Ontario Rep Hockey League)
5065 Benson Drive, Burlington, Ontario, L7L5N7